Tuesday, April 10, 2018

The American Coot...

I don't see them here during the Summer, 
only in Winter and according to the Audubon Guide,
they are common winter waterbirds for this area.
I must be honest and say that this is the first Winter I have noticed them.
I usually do a lot more duck hunting in the Summer, when it's warm...
but this Winter I have noticed a lot of ducks over winter in this area.
So my duck hunting patterns have changed, 
as there are many to see here during our Winter months.

This is an American Coot







Coots are tough, adaptable waterbirds.
Usually in flocks, they are aggressive and noisy.
They have strong legs and big feet with lobed toes,
 coots fighting over territorial boundaries will attack each other with their feet.

There were a lot of beautiful Mallards there as well...





the most beautiful and overlooked duck in the water.
Look at that tail flair...it looks like Mr. Mallard is a little more interested now!

16 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

If I were a drake Mallard I couldn’t resist!

Linda said...

Your photography should be in a book on a coffee table that we could admire every day as we leaf through its pages!
I always love looking at your pictures!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I love your Coot photos. I have not seen Coots in a long time, maybe as far back as last March in Florida. Enjoy your day and week ahead!

Sandi said...

Great shots!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure I've ever see one of these birds, Debbie.
Their lack of any real tail feathers is adorable. Not what we're used to seeing.
Our resident Canada Geese pair visited us last week, but were gone pretty quickly.
It is still cold and somewhat snowy here.
:-)

Farm Girl said...

Very great shots today Debbie, They live on the golf course here by the house. Flocks of them. I keep thinking I need to go hang out there just to take pictures of all of the birds.
Ride around in a golf cart if they would let me.
I love your bird photos. Have a lovely day.

Noke said...

Klasse Bilder.

Noke

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful! The Coots are in my area in summer, but usually don't allow close pictures.I love the Mallards.I like the look from the female in the first picture.

Judy said...

To heck with the Old Coots! i love the Mallards. Do you ever see any Wood Ducks? My favorite.

Marie Smith said...

LOVE the coots. I don’t see them here. That fourth photo is special!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I always love your photos...you get such sharp pics! I posted the flock of coots but now I wonder if they might be cormorants. I said coots because of the white bills. It's hard to keep all these IDs straight! lol Hugs!

Brian King said...

Fantastic photos! We have coots here during the winter. They can be quite entertaining!

21 Wits said...

Lovely captures! We get Coots here and it's always a treat to see them. They stay back from shore usually more so then the ducks and travel in large groups!

Ida said...

Awesome shots of both the Coot and the Mallards.

Lowcarb team member said...

So nice to see your pictures of the coots, and the mallards.


All the best Jan

LeAnn said...

These Coot photos are awesome. I love the gray and black colors. I enjoyed learning more about them. Mallard's are a beautiful birds. We have them come over to our home once in a while. They live by a Canal near our home. Loved your thoughts on the last one. I think the females are cute.
Blessings and hugs!